Monday, March 22, 2010

Wings Tattoos

Wings Tattoos
If you have always wanted a wing tattoo like the one in the photograph then listen up and take some notes. I’m going to go through the history and symbolism of the wing tattoo so that you can make an informed decision and decide whether or not you really want to get this design. Interestingly enough the angels present in the Western bible never had wings. If you read in the old or New Testament the angels and seraphim where very much human like in every way. In fact they did not even have a pair of wings. However, somewhere early on in history artists including painters and stain glass artists seemed to incorporate a pair of wings with the angels that came to earth. Why this was done or where it started has been lost in history but it can be seen almost everywhere. In modern art this traditional of angel wings has continued. Today the wing tattoo has come to symbolize two different things. The first thing they symbolize is freedom. The second thing that they have come to symbolize is closeness to God. This is probably due to the close association between heavenly beings and wings.
Wings Tattoos
I personally like wing tattoos. And believe me when I tell you that I’ve seen my fair share of them. But, usually when I see a wing tattoo, it’s inked onto someone’s back. And there is a good reason why people get wing tattoos inked there. It’s because angels have their wings on their backs. So, it’s actually a representation of that. Or it could mean that the person has an angel on their shoulder. They are literally asking for divine intervention in their life, and asking for their deities protection. But, I haven’t seen too many wing tattoos like the one here. It’s evidently a memorial of some sort to a loved one because it has the words "My Love" with wings and a halo on it. Now I would normally say that this is a memorial to a living one but the halo gives me pause. I’m thinking that the loved one represented by this tattoo has passed on and that is why they have a halo over the top of it. The person has litterally become an angel. If that’s the case then I can’t think of a better tribute then a wing tattoo such as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment